Use this easy step-by-step guide to pack fragile stemware such as crystal, wine glasses and goblets.
Time Required: As Needed.
- Purchase cell boxes from specialty packing supply stores or ask for used boxes at a grocery store or liquor store. You can also purchase the cardboard dividers (cells) separately. Just make sure they will fit whatever size box you're using.
- Prepare the cell box and make sure you have both plain white/brown packing paper and tissue paper on hand.
- Select a glass. Take several sheets of tissue paper and gently stuff the interior of the glass's globe. Keeping filling the space until there is no space left. Be gentle. Don't press on the sides of the glass or push the paper in too tightly.
- Layout several sheets of tissue paper and place the glass on its side perpendicular to the corner of the paper.
- Take two to three sheets of tissue and pull the corners around the glass, then gently roll the glass forward, gently tucking the tissue into the globe and around the base until the glass is completely wrapped.
- Place the tissue-wrapped glass on a large piece of plain packing paper. Use the same technique you used to wrap the glass in tissue, only this time keep the ends of the paper untucked.
- Gentle fold the ends of the paper down around the globe and stem, carefully molding it to the glass. Repeat this procedure at least twice to ensure glass is properly protected.
- Place the glass into one of the cells, stem first. Gentle pack tissue or bubble wrap into any open spaces. Repeat first 8 steps for the remaining stemware.
- Once you've filled each cell and the box is full, place bubble wrap or tissue paper on top of the packed stemware to ensure there's no room for movement.
- Secure the flaps, then gently shake the box. If the box rattles, there are some gaps that need to be filled.
- Once you've filled all remaining spaces, tape the box closed. Mark the box "fragile" and label it with the appropriate room and content listing.
What You Need
- Cell Kit/Cell Box
- Tissue Paper
- Plain Brown/White Packing Paper
- Packing Tape
- Bubble wrap (option)