Purchase extra tall boxes from a speciality box company. Select one that is large enough to accommodate the lamp you need to pack.
- Secure the bottom of the box with reinforced packing tape.
- Remove the bulb and shade. Wrap the cord around the lamp's base and secure it so it won't unravel. I don't recommend using packing tape as tape can stick to fragile paints and may remove outer coating. Instead, tuck the plug end into the wrapped cord.
- On a clean, flat surface, spread out a large length of bubble wrap.
- Place the lamp on its side in the middle of the bubble wrap.
- Roll the lamp in the bubble wrap and secure with tape. Wrap several lengths of tape around the lamp.
- Fold over the edges of the bubble wrap to secure the bottom of the lamp. Tape it tightly. Do the same with the top of the lamp. The lamp should now be completely covered and protected.
- Place the lamp in the box base down. If you have more than one lamp to move and the box has enough room, pack the second lamp next to the first one, base to base.
- Use newsprint or extra bubble wrap to fill any spaces so the lamps will not shift during the move.
- Seal the box and mark it with "fragile" and "this end up". Also indicate its location and the contents.
- Make sure your hands are clean and dry before you remove the lamp shade. Lamp shades are fragile items that can easily stain.
- Extra tall boxes can be purchased through a specialty box company. Ask your mover or go online. Measure all your lamps first and buy boxes that will accommodate the tallest lamp.
- Label your boxes well so they are easily read. Indicating that table lamps are contained within will notify the movers to place the box in a secure location on the truck.
What You Need
- Tall box
- Bubble wrap
- Packing Tape