A Guide to Packing and Moving Out
By Diane Schmidt, About.com Guide
Hire a Moving Company
Need to hire movers? Find out everything you need to know, including costs, interview questions, setting up appointments and insurance facts. Also discover contracts, and what you should ask before signing.
- Before You Hire a Moving Company
- Should I Hire Movers or Move Myself?
- Questions to Ask the Movers Before You Hire
- Moving Within a State: Hiring Do's and Don't's
- Moving State to State: Hiring Do's and Don't's
- How to Research Movers
- Is Your Moving Company Reputable?
- All About Estimates
- What Are Non-binding Estimates?
- What Are Binding Estimates?
- Should You Purchase Moving Insurance?
- Ways to Save on Moving Company Fees
- Extra Moving Company Charges - What Do They Mean?
- How to Prevent Extra Moving Company Costs
Move It Yourself
If you need to know whether you should move yourself or hire movers, check out this guide which includes a cost analysis, tips on renting a truck or moving van, how to get free labor and calculating distances. It also includes details on moving awkward and how to load the truck.
- How to Decide if You Should Move Yourself
- Before You Rent a Moving Truck
- How to Rent a Moving Truck or Van
- How to Load the Truck
- Alternate Ways to Move Your Stuff: Air Cargo
- Container Packing and Moving: U-Pack
Packing Guides and Tips
Find out how to organize your move, delegate tasks, and decide what to take and what to leave. Also included are how-to pack guides, information on preparing your home and ideas on how to pack for your last and first night and what you'll need on the road.
- Step by Step Packing Guides
- Packing Quick Tips
- Pack Oversize and Unusual Items
- Renting Storage
- Packing Room by Room
Moving Your Family
Find out how to help your family move, from breaking the news, to assisting family members, to resources and tips to assist everyone in your household adjust to this change.
Moving and Seniors
Find out how to help a senior family member or friend move with tips, suggestions and resources for coping with this change, planning and preparing, and where to move to.
- Is it Time for Older Adults to Move?
- How to Talk to Seniors About Moving
- 10 Tips to Help Seniors Move
- How to Downsize When Moving to a Smaller Home
- Book Review: Moving in the Right Direction
Moving With Pets
Find useful information on how to move pets both locally and internationally. Includes details on what you need to do to ensure they arrive safely and how to help them settle into their new home.
- Moving Pets Tips and Tricks
- Moving Pets to a New State
- Moving Your Pet to Another Country
- Flying Pets to Their New Home
- Driving with Your Pet