Whenever we've moved, we've always done our own unpacking and it usually takes us weeks to get it all completed. In fact, we still have a few boxes in one closest that are still waiting to be opened from our last move. So when a friend said that she'd hired an unpacking service for her last move, I understood perfectly why she did. Within a day her house was completely unpacked and looked like it had been lived in for a lot longer than that.
Is an unpacking service for you? To decide if it is, here's a little more information:
When to hire an unpacking service?
- When you cannot get extra time off of work to unpack, or you have a limited amount of time between jobs.
- If you're a stay-home parent and you can't fathom doing all the unpacking and settling the kids in at the same time.
- You packed all the boxes yourself and you can't bear the thought of unpacking everything.
What's included in the service?Each company is different, so it's best to inquire about their full range of services. Most will include the following:
- Unpacking all boxes.
- Unwrapping items and making a list of anything broken.
- Wiping off shelves. Extra cleaning services may be available.
- Putting all items away.
- Organizing the house from the kitchen drawers and cupboards to the linen closet.
- Set-up all extraneous items, such as the shower curtain, adjusting the clocks to the correct time, spreading the tablecloth, hanging pictures (if previously discussed).
- Assemble all furniture, including beds, desks and tables.
- All clothing unpacked and beds made.
- Removal of all boxes and packing materials.
How do the unpackers know where everything goes?Most professional unpackers are also professional organizers; they've unpacked and organized more households than the average person. In fact, I've been told that the unpackers found solutions to problems that otherwise would've stumped the homeowner.
Also, most homeowners are around during the unpacking phase. If the unpackers have questions, they'll ask. However, usually the unpackers will do their job without having to bother the homeowner.
What's the cost for an unpacking service?Prices vary depending on the size of home and how quickly you need it unpacked. Most services are completed in one day; however, if you need your home unpacked in half a day, there may be an additional charge.
Again, most companies will provide no obligation quotes, either online or by phone, so it's best to shop around for a service in your area.
I'll be updating this article when we start our next move to let you know, personally, what to expect from a professional unpacking service.