Usually, when I move, I'm always so glad when we're at the moving-in stage; it's the time when I start to think that the move is over. However, just because you're in the final moving stages, doesn't mean that you can relax. Use these helpful tips for moving in to ensure your stuff is protected and to save you time and money later on.
Moving In Tips and Suggestions
- Arrive before the movers do. If you can't, make sure you have someone you trust waiting at your new home.
- Have a copy of your home inventory list ready so you can check off items as they come through the door. This should be provided to you when you move out and the movers should give you a copy when you move in.
- Direct the movers as required. Show them where to park, where each box or item should go and try to be as helpful as possible.
- If you need any additional help, for instance, assembling the bed or table, ask if you'll be charged for the service.
- Know where your shipment is at all times.
- Make sure there's adequate parking for the truck and if you need to block off an elevator, check with the landlord for a key and service request. If you do need to use an elevator, the moving company may charge you an extra fee.
- Have a map of where you want the large furniture pieces to go. Ask the movers to situate them for you.
- Make sure that boxes are placed in the appropriate rooms. This will save you from moving them later.
- Before the movers arrive, make sure your utilities work - light switches, water, heat/hydro.
- Once the movers have moved-in the appliances, plug them in to make sure they're working. If they aren't, you may want to ask the movers for assistance. Make sure you note what isn't working so you can claim it with the moving company and call for repairs. You don't want to do without critical appliances such as a stove or fridge.
- Check with the post office to make sure your mail has been rerouted. Or if it's being held, stop by and pick it up.
- Have your payment ready. Call ahead to find out what kind of payment the driver will accept. If you need a bank draft or certified check, make sure you have this ready.
- Have a cash tip ready should you wish to tip the movers. Tipping is recommended.
- If you were impressed by the mover, have refreshments and snacks on hand. This kind of thoughtfulness goes a long way should you require their services again.